Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Sweet Farmhouse Memories ~

 photo Farm - Our Farmhouse Porch_zpswdvg6hla.jpg

"Every home where love abides,
And friendship is a guest,
Is truly home -
and home sweet home -
For there the heart finds rest."

(Henry Van Dyke)

This was one of the dearest places on earth to me -
my grandparents farmhouse in
Smith County, Kansas.
Built in 1926, it was in our family for
nearly 80 years.
I grew up in Colorado, but every summer we would
come out and spend a few days here.
Oh what fun for a city kid!!!
I got to pet a newborn baby piglet once - and ohhh!!!
How he squealed!!!  I loved it!
Got to pat  the sweetest bottle calf once, too - and
run my fingers over his velvety soft mouth!
There were hogs in the sty, cattle in the pasture, and mules -
there were lots of chickens for several years, too -
always scurrying about as we arrived!

And Old Susie, the farm dog - oh how I loved Old Susie!
My first memory of her was as we pulled into the yard one night,
and she came flying out in a blur around our car - all teeth, noise, and attitude!!!
We stayed in the car til my uncle, who owned her -
gave us the "all clear" - and then she made right up to me,
and we were best buddies ever after!!
(Once my heart stopped thumping in my throat, that is!)
She only had three legs, but that didn't slow her down a bit!

I also got unusually brave one day -
and followed my uncle right into the BULL's pen!!
I stayed close behind him as he walked the width of the pen
to check the bull's water tank . . .
that humongous ol' Hereford bull just stood there,
and never took his steely eyes off me, though!!!
And I lived to tell the story!  LOL!!


Yes, there was a lot of love in that farmhouse -
lots of laughter, family fun, Grandma's and my aunt's good
old-fashioned down home cookin' -
happy visits out on the porch, and very happy memories!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely memories, thank you for sharing! My dad has a big old portrait of a Hereford bull downstairs on his 'office' wall. I always thought it was an ugly looking cow but he raised them for his 4-H project when he was a teen. His folks had a little acreage and thought of it as a farmlet. His mom had chickens and sold the eggs and I think his sister raised a lamb once too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...