Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Old Roses On The Farmhouse Porch ~



These lovely old-fashioned roses graced the porch and steps at my grandparents farmhouse.
There is just something charming about them -
and about the old steps -
they've always been a favorite of mine.

I guess it's because of the precious memories they invoke -
I have such happy memories of our family farm -
and of gatherings on the porch with
loved ones.
Aunts, uncles, cousins, my parents -
and of course our "four-legged family" -
Old Shep - a sweet collie who was my Grandpa's farm and cattle herding dog -
and Old Susie - a three-legged dynamo of a hunting dog who was also guardian, adventurer, and bestest buddy to me all rolled into one!

So, what places are special in your heart?
Would love to hear about them!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, those beautiful roses are probably the kind that bloom just once and then hold onto their bounty and produce beautiful rosehips! I've always wanted to have a big patch of them to enjoy as they bloom and then to harvest for the many uses of the hips. For now, a sweet little plant I bought at Brenda's last Pickin' On The Prairie farm sale will have to do...I got a Chinese Lantern plant! My grandma had a nice patch of it next to Grandpa's garage and how I loved watching it throughout the growing season and hoping to see lots of Lanterns come Autumn. As an adult I bought seed packets and never had any luck. But now I have a genuine GROWING start and have high hopes to make my own patch. And I found out you can even make a nice jelly from the mature berries inside the lanterns!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...